See some of our most frequently asked questions, along with their answers, below.
What should I do if my cable is out?
If there is a cable outage, all televisions hooked up to cable in your home will be out. If one tv is working, it may be a problem with your digital box (if you have one), your television or your wiring.
Do you have a VCR?
If so, it may be turned on and affecting your cable. Turn your VCR off.
Do you have a digital box?
If so, your television needs to be on Channel 3 or the correct video input.
Still not working?
Contact us to further troubleshoot.
One or some of my channels are not working, what do I do?
You may need to re-program your television.
In the menu of your TV make sure that the setting is selected for Cable TV, then look for choices such as “auto scan”, “auto set-up”, or “program channels” to complete the process.
Is my television HD ready?
In order to view HD, a HDTV television set is required. To identify if your TV set is HD-ready, refer to the following requirements:
- Your TV Set must be “HD-ready” or “HD-Capable”
- Display picture in 1080i, 1080p, 720i or 720p resolution. (Refer to your TV set’s owner’s manual)
Can I get WiFi?
Golden Communications offers WiFi Modem/Router combos that will enable you to connect multiple devices to the internet. Golden Communications Phone customers will need to provide their own wireless router to set up a WiFi network.
Can I install internet service myself?
Golden Communications strives to ensure your service is working properly from the very beginning of your service with us. Therefore, at this time, Golden Communications does not offer self-installation.
What does power- cycling the modem mean?
Unplug the power to the cable modem and then router if you have one. Wait 30 seconds and plug the modem and router back in. This is called power-cycling the modem. After you power-cycle, you will then need to restart your computer.
What do I do if my internet is not working?
Follow the tips below if you lose internet access:
- Restart your computer. This is usually the quickest and easiest way to cure any problems.
- Unplug the power to the cable modem and then router if you have one. Wait 30 seconds and plug the modem and router back in. This is called recycling the modem. After you recycle, you will then need to restart your computer.
- Check the “online” light on the modem. If you recycle and the light still does not come on, it is probably a problem with our cable signal. Call our office immediately as this may require a visit from our service technicians. Please have your MAC ID ready which is located on the bottom of your modem.
- PC problems – If the modem is online and you cannot get on the internet it is most likely a problem with the computer.
- Still not working? Contact us to further troubleshoot.
What is Digital Phone?
Digital Phone is very similar to landline phone service. The main difference is that it operates through your internet connection (you do not need to have internet service with Golden Communications digital phone) as opposed to your telephone lines.
How much to I have to pay to call to or receive long distance phone calls?
Absolutely nothing! You will have unlimited local and long distance incoming and outgoing calls within the Continental United States.
What kind of telephone do I need for my digital phone to work?
Any touch-tone phone, including cordless, will work perfectly with digital phone. And, your reception will be just as good!
How can I reach out to the Michigan Public Service Commission?
Section 10 (3-4) of the Uniform Video Services Local Franchise Act states:
Each provider shall notify its customers not less than annually of the dispute resolution process created under this section. Each provider shall include the dispute resolution process on its website/ Before a customer can file a complaint with the commission under subsection (5), the customer shall first attempt to resolve the dispute through the dispute resolution process established by the provider under subsection (2). If the dispute cannot be resolved by the providers dispute resolution process, the customer may file a complaint with the commission under subsection (5). The provider shall provide the customer with the commission’s toll-free customer service number and website address.
MPSC toll-free number: 1-800-292-9555
MPSC website: www.michigan.gov/mpsc
Have questions? Need help? We've got you covered!